18 March 2022

feels like spring

Or even warmer- just over seventy today so the lettuces I just planted in the garden yesterday might start bolting already. More stuff is springing up and sprouting new leaves- the clematis, sedums, daylilies. My hellebores are blooming but I haven't got any photos yet, though I did cut a few flowers to float in tiny jars on the kitchen windowsill, so pretty.

Today I started more seed- dill, chervil, parsley, a few more leeks, snap peas (both 'golden' from a packet and saved from my own garden), shelling peas, tatsoi and tokyo bekana. Outside I direct-sowed detroit red beets, golden beets, turnips and turnip-rutabaga in the garden. Sowed four types of carrots in eight large pots on the deck. Soil nice and loose, the roots won't run into any rocks, I don't have to dig over a garden bed, and there's more space down below for something else!

Note to self: end of my packets beet seed. Must buy more next year.

Also stuck four twigs in the ground, their flowers have fallen and green leaves are sprouting. Cuttings of 'white forsythia' a friend gave me (It's really Abeliophyllum distichum). Sounds like it roots just as crazy easy as the common yellow forsythia, but I think late summer or fall is better time to grow cuttings so don't know how these will do. I put two by the mailbox spot, one near the vegetable garden, and one on an edge of the rear perennial bed. I was at her house when it was blooming- lovely little starlike white flowers with an amazing scent. It reminded me so much of lilac. The rest of the year it will just look like a plain green shrub, but I think those early spring white flowers would be lovely around the mailbox, ready for something different from the celosia and borage perhaps.

No comments: