28 June 2021

home-grown dinner

Chard today- both swiss chard and leaf-beet variety.
Pulled more carrots- including some of the red 'dragon' ones. 
Edit add: Funny thing, when I started peeling them, they're not red underneath- just regular orange. And two were yellow. All tasted the same. Very sweet when roasted.
Also ate some amaranth 'calaloo' greens in eggs for breakfast. They've been riddled with holes. I thought it was slugs- so numerous my traps weren't getting enough of them. Had a bout of insomnia last night- woke at three am couldn't sleep. So I went out in the garden with a flashlight and found the culprits. Very small pale grey larvae. I think from a beetle because I caught a few of those on the plants too. I removed what larvae I found, squished the beetles, and simply cut a bunch to eat myself, even with the bug holes. Found two more of the larvae when I washed the leaves. Will have to be more diligent on that bed or the bugs will overwhelm the plants.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Your carrots look great! We've never had much luck growing them, they're always small and deformed.

Jeane said...

Thank you! Mine are better this year than ever- I think from several years' worth of composting, green beans in the bed the year before (fixing nitrogen) and turning over the soil a whole spit (the only one I do it for).