26 October 2020

pothos pulled

Noticed some of the plants in my 45 are looking yellow or dropping leaves- since I added the vals (which have had only a little bit of melt). I figure with removal of the tetras, the nutrient level is less for all the plants now. So I took out the largest piece of pothos, and the one stem of heartleaf philodendron, from the back of the tank. The philodendron I replanted into its original pot with mother plant. The pothos stem was about half the hydroponic plant mass- particularly of the root amount in there. It had grown long enough to span a 6" pot. I simply wedged the length of it down, only one end has roots the rest those little nodes that soon should grow, though. 
Next to my original pothos (still the only plant in the house growing in a sub-irrigated container). Plant pulled from the tank is on the right, it's paler and more yellow-green. Was originally a cutting from the plant on the left.
New pot by a indirect-lit window.
Incidentally, I also removed emergent stems from the 33L- remnants of the parrot's feather. It was looking okay a week ago- and now suddenly I realized the foliage is all smaller, it looks kind of withered, definitely not doing well. Again, probably because the vals are doing well and out-competing for nutrients. I don't mind. Discarded the parrot's feather.

No comments: