20 September 2020

fall blooms

More zinnias! 
I still cut a few for inside the house.
Celosia took me by surprise. These sprang up self-seeded after I pulled out the bug-ridden borage. Grew very quickly. 
Some even have the convoluted 'cockscomb' or 'brain flower' look. Might just let them grow on their own every year, instead of painstakingly starting them as seedlings in spring.
Lovely petals like crepe paper, rose-of-sharon
Even though it just got planted a week ago, 
my wandflower bloomed!
Liriope is making purple spires
and japanese salvia softer yellow ones- 
Some of my nasturtium plants recovered from the heat (and I sprayed for bugs)-
a week later-
The cardinal climber has wound all the way up to my deck railing
and one on the other fence is actually flowering now!
Thickets of turtlehead. 
Even the small patch at the very far back of the yard did better this year. Because I swiped off a lot of mealy bugs on stems early in the season? or because more sun reaches them now... 
Pannicle hydrangeas-
'Autumn Joy' sedums. Some are more pink than others.
Summersweet had plenty more flowers this year and occasionally I paused in the very back of the yard to lean into their vanilla scent. 
There's also marigolds and nicotiana of course... . .

No comments: