19 September 2020

digging relocations

I moved some stuff this past week. Not done yet, but it's a start. First was the rhubarb. I think it's my last attempt to relocate it. Went from the corner of rear perennial bed to a blank spot (taking another chunk out of the lawn) in front of the pannicle hydrangea near the nicotiana patch. (Eventually I want that edge of plants among the tree roots to expand so that lawn edge is straight). That sycamore stump (from the neighbors, who gave me some rounds when they cut down their tree) is the perfect height for me to sit on and enjoy part of the garden. 
It was very sad when I first moved it. 
Watered heavily every day for a while, mulched it thickly with compost and grass clippings. Now a few of the younger leaves are standing upright again, so I hope it will recover well.
The empty spot it left behind doesn't seem so large- 
and now I notice one of the hellebores there is yellowish.
Compare to other one on the left. Too much sun? Nutrient overload from me feeding the rhubarb that was next to it? It's growing new leaves from the crown though, so not done for yet, whatever's wrong.
Next thing I did was rip up more grass in the front, to start expanding that perennial bed so it's a straight line across from the little path off the driveway. Edging will go all the way from driveway corner to curve around where the pink sedums are on the opposite end- 
I will get a better photo later when it's a better job done- right now the edging only goes a little ways and it's not the stones I actually want to use, just what I had at hand. But had to start moving stuff so I'm ready to shift my black-and-blue salvia when it goes dormant. First I dug up and moved forward the two cranesbills. Hope they get more sun.
They are very floppy and pathetic looking now, I am a bit anxious they might not survive this (it's better to transplant them in the spring). Yeah, I didn't pull all the grass out but will soon smother it in mulch and fallen leaves for winter, then uproot what's left in spring.
Into the space vacated by the cranesbills, I transplanted my mountain laurel. I'm hoping it will do better here- has lost a lot of lower leaves lately. And the very attractive flowers can be enjoyed more, now that it's by the front porch.

No comments: