03 August 2020

insect battle

This is the beetle that is eating up my amaranth greens, and now leaves on the sunberry too. After further searches, I now think it's the pale-striped flea beetle-
the holes in the leaves are more like flea beetle damage than potato beetle. There's still enough greens I cut the plant back, rinse clean and cook 'em anyway.
Something is still eating all my tomatoes, while they're green- and stripping leaves as well. Due to the frass, I found four very fat tomato hornworms. Got rid of them, but I am not sure if something else (chimpmunk?) was actually eating the fruit.
Sprayed my green bean vines, and they're doing much better now! Lots of tiny purple flowers and I am looking forward to at least one good picking of beans. I also sprayed the side of euonymus shrub near that corner of the garden. It always has a ton of yellowed leaves dropping. I think now this garden bed has done poorly over the years not for lack of sun, but because there's a constant infestation of aphids or spider mites or whatever on that euonymus that always spreads into the garden plot.

No comments: