25 July 2020

new eats

Picked my first cucumber. It was better-tasting than previous years (no bitterness) and fat, too!
Zucchini, going to eat this one tonight.
And a large tomato. I brought it in to finish ripen on the windowsill.
Something has been eating my tomatoes. I kept thinking I saw more cherokee purples on the vine, but then when they ripened, only a few are left. Then I found a large tomato with a spot of decay on one side- or a bite, because the next day the hole was larger. Third day I went out to pick and bring it inside, and even more of it was missing, from the same side! Is it the squirrel? usually they carry the whole thing off, or take a bite and then go on to another fruit, but whatever creature nibbled my tomato came back every day to eat a little more of it. Maybe the chipmunk.

I don't have a photo of this, but started picking the sunberries. Only two or three at a time- the clusters don't all ripen at once. I offered some to each of my family. My kids liked them all right, my husband didn't. They're not very sweet, the flavor is mild and they're kind of mealy in texture. I think I will have to pick and freeze a lot in succession, get enough to try a small pie. If we're not too fond of that, this might be a plant to skip in the garden next year.

No comments: