06 July 2020

garden full

I haven't been out there much this past week, nor taken any photos in a while- but we have been eating something every day out of the garden. First to ripen were the cherry tomatoes, and cherokee purple
The larger tomatoes are now starting to blush. So far no hornworms, no squirrels stealing bites, no blossom end rot. I didn't think they would do so well in my new bed without the well-established soil, but looks like I'll actually have good tomatoes this year!
Zucchini have grown
and grown- here sprinkled with cinnamon to try and slow the powdery mildew.
Bright yellow cuke and cantaloupe blossoms-
Cantaloupe sprawling out of the bed
The root bed is full up-
we've been eating the beets. Pulled at golf-ball size, their greens are very nice cooked with olive oil and garlic
detroit red beets-
and golden beets-
Had turnips a few times, too. Not too fond of the greens, though I eat 'em because they're healthy- I've tried cooking several different ways and still can't get away from the bitterness. Found the way I like turnips best is cut into small cubes, cooked with fresh dill, butter and green peas. It's good alongside fish.
Carrots all ferny, but none ready to pull yet- maybe not till fall.
Herb bed full-
view from the end- still haven't eaten those green onions yet
Lemon balm is bolting to flower. I've started cutting it back, using all the little leaves off each section for fresh tea and freezing the larger ones for winter use.
Sage isn't as large this season- got overwhelmed by nepitella on one side, sorrel and winter savory on the others. I cut the savory and nepitella down periodically just to scatter their pungent leaves in other beds.
Sculpit did better in the garden spot this year- funny little balloon flowers
I finally got tired of the lettuce towers filling up space in the greens bed, and pulled them out for compost yesterday.
Now it's easier to see the blue collards gone to seed- starting to fall over and dry out, soon will collect them
Collards in the next bed are done now- too bitter. Caterpillars have been eating them more often than us. I'm going to cut them down this week,
let regrow in fall -as these glaze collards are already doing.
But we are still eating leaf beet chard and swiss chard!
About a week ago I planted out the newer tokyo bekana into the garden. On a day of thunderstorms, to avoid transplant shock. They did okay- except got riddled with slug holes.
Put out beer traps and caught some slugs- now the newer leaves look a bit better, so maybe we'll get to eat some of this after all.
Sugar snap peas are pretty much done.
A few pods that I missed the last time I picked for eating, are left to develop seed for next year.
Behind them the purple pole beans are climbing! I trimmed a few before they got out of my reach, but missed others which are winding into the euonymus shrub and across the top support string.
I really like standing behind the beans against the house, where it's cool.
Starting to flower!
My one pepper plant died. I was about to give up on the 'callaloo' amaranth also, but glad that I just cut it back instead- it recovered and although has a bit of insect damage,
looks good enough to try and eat now!
This other plant in that bed is new one for me this year- the sunberry.
It's doing well! looks like I'll actually have berries to eat, if the birds don't get them first.
That's the update on all my edibles- excepting the herbs in pots. More for next time.

No comments: