06 July 2020

fishes update

My angelfish completed third dose of kanaplex on thursday. Yesterday I did a larger water change- over thirty percent. She looks better! The fins have stopped degrading, the rip in dorsal is healed, pelvic and anal fins are starting to grow back out, and edges of caudal and pectorals look cleaner. Redness on body edges is lessened. Still looks inflamed at the joint where pectorals join the body, but not as much as before. I'm trying to decide if I should dose another round of kanaplex or do something else . . . 
Paradise fish still baffles me. I'm starting to wonder if maybe he has a physical obstruction in his throat? maybe a bit of shell from eating snails? Two days ago he was lively, looking at me through the glass, interested in food. I watched close as he ate. He got down one NLS pellet just fine- although the chewing seemed to take a while. He took another, and struggled with that one. Chewed and chewed, then food bits started shedding out the gills and finally he spat out the half-masticated pellet. Made that clacking noise with his throat working again, then darted for air and now hangs around listless again, not seeing me, not interested to eat. Backlit here so the photo is pale...
Meanwhile the other fishes in his tank are doing great- the white clouds chase around, the female plump already I bet they'd spawn if I put them with the subwassertang again. It looks like I didn't actually sort the male guppies from females soon enough with the second generation- my three younger females are all very fat now, and I've found a few babies in the 33L. I net them out and feed to Miss Beautiful. The two older females aren't getting fat again, and that's the only way I can tell the moms from their daughters!

No comments: