05 May 2020

digging

I dug a lot of holes today. Visited (with distancing) a gardening friend to dig some plants from her yard. Very grateful for her generosity. Hope I can repay in kind (I have plenty of plants grown and multiplied enough I could dig some to spare now: turtlehead, gladiola, yellow salvia, bee balm, sensitive fern...) I was especially pleased to receive some milkweed-
the kind with the broader leaves
here's my established ones- all coming up strong now
and some lamb's ears. I've never been too fond of lamb's ears, but the kind my friend grew has thicker, broader leaves very attractive.
Well, not so much now sad with transplant shock and being divided, but it should recover
A few clumps of joe pye weed (the regular one)
Here's the row of lamb's ears, in front of gladiolas.
Opposite side, I put in 'autumn joy' sedum next to the salvias
there's a smaller clump of it there too
They came from this corner spot by the driveway, where lilac (gorgeous this year!) suddenly has grown and overrun its shorter companions. So I dug up and moved all the 'autumn joy' sedums. Before:
and after:
Moved most of them to a row in the front bed- expanding it out another foot (less lawn!)
seen from other side. Coleus have a lot of growing to do still.
There's more. I also dug and shifted some liriope- to straighten out the edge, and two of the young shrubs I thought were viburnum. Then I spent over an hour looking at identification keys online and photos, and finally found out the little shrubs are amur honesuckle. Which is an invasive. Sigh. I have to go dig them all out again. It was starting to look so nice, too. What am I going to put in that spot instead. Too tired now.

No comments: