21 February 2020

some green outside

Surprised to find the bit of thyme left in a pot, actually has some life:
Chives are shooting up new growth; its first pot I've put back out on the deck for spring
Collards in the garden are leggy with the lower foliage cut and eaten,
but the tops a lovely fresh green
Still eating them, and swiss chard too. I think I'm going to change part of my gardening calendar. Make a real effort to plant new collards, chard and lettuce early fall, see if I can bring them through winter and have fresh greens extant through spring. When they die of summer heat, it will be their end of season with a fresh start in fall again. My collards and chard certainly lasted well this winter, and I bet lettuce would pull through if I fitted the coldframe over them. Plans!

No comments: