28 January 2020

sour sorrel

I think I've only eaten the sorrel once so far. Made meatloaf the other day and there was enough leftovers for sandwiches. I thought the tangy zing of sorrel might go well with that. And it's one of the only green things in the garden right now, so I should be eating it!
Tried a few leaves on a meatloaf sandwich- hey it was pretty good.
So the next day I had another one. The leaves rinsed and patted dry-
Nice fresh sharp taste that pairs great with the meatloaf. Definitely worth repeating.
Also tried something new with chervil. Found that under some yellowed and browned chervil stems, there was fresh foliage growing in my planter box. I cleaned up the plant and snipped a bunch. Read a note in one of the seed catalogs that chervil is good on potatoes, so I tried tossing it with olive oil for roasted potatoes.
It came out bland. I think chervil is too delicate for the long cooking time with roasted potatoes. I should toss it in at the end, or use it fresh in mashed potatoes like I do chives.

No comments: