07 November 2019

fishes note

I suspect parasites again, in the smaller tanks. Laddie is starting to get lethargic- lying on the substrate more and more often. Sometimes flashing- oddly same as Perry used to do- only in the dim of early morning or late evening. (I don't get why). I've seen white poo in the guppy tank also.

I had just recently moved the smaller white clouds into the window tank, and the guppy fry into the half-filled 20H. Right on time- the female guppies had a second batch. There's seventeen or eighteen newborns in the fry box now, and fifteen three-week-old fry in the now-growout tank. I put the adult females in there too, once I was sure they were done birthing, because I don't want them to get pregnant again. Well, knowing guppies, they probably already are but this will put a halt. The little blue male was quite a pest always chasing them around, I even saw them turn and nip at him sometimes. Now alone, he's cruising up and down the glass displaying to his reflection. As soon as I can discern male from female among the guppy fry, I'll move the older male fry in with him. I think I can just make out gravid spots on some of the fry- which are probably females- but not exactly sure- so waiting a bit longer.

Anyway, all three tanks are getting a dose of prazipro against parasites. I put the meds in day before yesterday. Laddie flashed once the first night. Now has perked up again. And this morning he ate one of the smaller minnows. I was feeding them cooked peas. I cut the pea into chunks- tiny for me but large for the fish- about an eighth of a pea is a good big bite for Laddie. I drop it in and usually Laddie snaps up the chunk, while the minnows dart in and eat the tiny bits that disintegrate off the pea the moment it hits the water. This time, one white cloud grabbed the big bite and shook it, fins all flared wide, like a dog shaking a toy, only this pea chunk was much bigger than the minnow's own head! It was hilarious for half a second, then Laddie dove for the same pea bite and swallowed the minnow whole along with it. The spunky one lost.

No comments: