20 August 2019

plants new for me this year-

Globe Amaranth- little bright puff balls of flowers
It didn't get any attention, but made a color spot in the garden corner
They're orange, pink and reddish:
It's hard to believe Opopeo Amaranth is a closely related plant? This was also neglected- and either it collapsed or something ate all the leaves or it half died, I don't know what. But it's just this flopped over tentacle like thing of red bloom- makes me think of a starfish.
It's supposed to be upright but failed-
Sculpit did make little curious bulb-shaped flowers, half of which are papery dry now. The plant itself got very leggy and thin, and I never did use the leaves in any cooking. Not sure if I will grow it again.
I only have one mizuna plant left, and it is eaten down to the ribs. By caterpillars or slugs, a loss.
Tatsoi fared a little better (although still has plenty of bug holes) and I'm planning on using it in a dish like I would spinach, soon. Tossed with pasta and feta, or in a frittata.
 I thought this tiny pale lavender flowers were, reasonably, from the lavender plant.
 But they're from the nepitella, which is growing right next to the lavender. The info I read about it said "short-lived herb" so I expected it to die off in the summer heat, like my dill and chervil. Instead it's thriving! I ought to cut some of this to dry, as well- see if I like it better than oregano.
My collards are rather leggy and bug-eaten, but the leaves sure are grand regardless. I'm still cutting them to eat, washed off and cut up no one sees the holes anymore. One plant provides enough for a full meal, now.
I'm please with the leaf beet chard. It's actually doing quite well. Next in line for getting eaten.
Sorrel on the edge of the herb patch, more visible now since I've been cutting back the sage and lemon balm to use.
I need to find more uses for this leafy plant. I like its tangy sour bite in a salad (whereas I don't care for the bite of arugula or radish), but haven't figured out any other dishes to put it in.

No comments: