17 August 2019

on the deck

I have a new coleus. I pinched this cutting- it now shares a category with the forsythia in my mind.
I don't need three pots of cuban oregano- so I pulled one and used its container for the new coleus.
My lime-and-orange coleus has turned russet and vivid yellow. Lower foliage faded though. I cut its tops right after this photo to start anew.
Here's the 'wild' one I pulled out of the yard. Still looks grand. Found a few more here and there on edges of the lawn.
I haven't actually used this bright non-flowering basil in cooking yet, but I found it dries very nicely so I have twice taken cuttings to hang for winter use.
Citrus geranium is doing so much better this time around. I wonder if I can overwinter it successfully.
What do you know, my fig (still in a pot) is actually producing fruit!
Very happy with how the bay leaf plant looks, too. It appears very healthy. Can't wait to take fall trimmings of this, to use for beans, lentils, soup . . . .
I have two pots of sweet basil. Next year I will probably only do one (three or four plants). It's plenty for my kitchen needs.
Stevia is looking better since I've been dousing it with soapy water more often. I think it had mites, like so many of my other plants.
Mints still flourish- chocolate mint and ginger.
Chives have flowers.
Rue still appears to keep the squirrels at bay. My neighbor has great-looking tomato plants with large fruit, but the squirrel steals his, eats a few chunks, leaves the ruined tomatoes on the fence highway. The squirrels don't come on my deck anymore!
However my tomatoes have been beset by insects, the foliage is small, the stems leggy. Maybe they still just don't get enough sun, here. Too many trees. I ditched all the larger tomato plants- the brandywine was the first to go- after only a few got picked and sliced for caprese. Remaining are the four cherokee purple tomato plants- they're doing okay but only just.

No comments: