17 August 2019

in my garden

Peppers! have outperformed my expectations. The sweet 'healthy' peppers produced tons on each plant- they're great in stir-fries, on pizza, sliced thin in salad, eaten fresh. Nice and crisp and mild.
and way more than I can keep up with. One plant would have been fine.
I have two ancho pepper plants, but I've only been getting one or two peppers each on them. This one stayed on the plant long enough to turn red. Great for cooking beans and lentils, but I wish I had more!
I pulled out all the peas, and now I have a volunteer cantaloupe in their place. Funny, it's one of the few plants in the garden not bothered by whitefly, aphids, stink bugs, cabbage loopers, mealy bugs, spider mites or leaf hoppers so far.
Nothing, apparently, bothers the leeks. They did so well and I have more than I can use now. The key was starting them so early indoors. Will repeat.
I saved one seedhead off a two-year-old leek.
Green onions happy in their new space. Didn't have much setback from being transplanted. Made some scrumptious enchiladas with them last night.
Lavender much better here too.
Sage also happy now it's not next to the rue. Some leaf hoppers on it, but not bad. I've already cut and dried enough for all through winter, and still there's plenty fresh in the garden.
Rue keeps up its guardian role. No more cats, squirrels digging around, and rabbits have never come.
Lemon balm is recovering. Leaves are still small but most look cleaner.
One end of that herb bed- lavender mixed with nepitella, sage rear right and sorrel in the rear fore.
I only pulled a fraction of the turnips earlier, and the ones still in the garden are getting so big I don't think they'll be good to eat anymore. A few are sending up thinner stems looks like they might try to flower.
I have carrots, though I'm starting to wonder why I use up garden space on them. Store-bought organic carrots taste better than mine- which tend to have a soapy hint for some reason. Trying to figure this out. Maybe it's just me.
Fordhook giant chard isn't doing so great. Something is on it- stink bugs or leaf hoppers or mites or all. I'm trying to knock them off with soapy water spray.

No comments: