22 August 2019

fish dreams

I used to have a recurring dream that I had a tank of angelfish, and they escaped and would swim around in the air. In my dream the fishes were always totally calm and nonchalant, but I freaked out and panicked trying to catch them and put them all back in the tank. I had this dream so many times, I even made an art piece depicting it.

Last week I had this dream again, but it's changed and I keep thinking about it. My house is different, it's one of those open-plan designs with the kitchen, dining area, living room all one open space. I'm in the kitchen prepping food for the fishes (from the freezer) when I notice they've come out of the tank and are swimming around me in the air. These are rainbowfish- beautiful bright large scales, shining color. There's a whole school of them, over a dozen, maybe twenty. They're cruising all around me, brushing up against my arms, circling up and down the room- and this time I'm not frightened or upset at all. I find it wondrous, I marvel at their colors and smooth sides and laugh in delight as they circle me over and over. Bright fishes in the air.

No comments: