26 August 2019

coleus collection

I felt like taking coleus cuttings today.
This is the new (pinched) one- with its top just removed-
to start a second plant. This one has a sweet smell when cut, like 'watermelon'.
The 'watermelon' coleus once again has a few rounder leaves. I took cuttings of those.
the crazy 'main street rodeo drive' coleus seems to have - toned down some over the summer. It's less splotchy. It makes me think of 'kiwi lime' because of the deeply notched leaves, but inverse colors.
I had to walk to the very back of the yard to take cuttings of 'exhibition limelight'. Left alone all summer, it was kind of shabby- but still alive!
Took the top off this potted 'wild coleus' on the deck-
and found quite a few more in the side yard, which I clipped at soil level. They have tougher leaves, stiffer, more narrow stems than the cultivated ones, which are a lot more tender. Also a more sharp smell when cut, not quite sweet like 'watermelon' and the bright, pinched one.
Those two, 'exhibition limelight' and the 'wild' one, had been growing on the outskirts of the yard without mulch or attention. I soaked them in soapy water to get rid of the bugs before keeping in the house. Can see the 'wild' coleus has slightly darker color (above) than the 'limelight'.
'Exhibition limelight' on the windowsill.
And my 'wild' coleus.
Last but not least, the 'kiwi fern.' I have two still in pots all the way from last winter, but took a few new cuttings from the outdoor plants just in case these get too old.
I didn't take any cuttings to save 'wizard jade' this year.

No comments: