26 May 2019

grand borage

My self-seeded borage by the mailbox have grown huge.
I decided to let them have the spot to themselves, this year, and planted celosia elsewhere in the yard. I wonder if the borage will look nicer, flower longer, if it doesn't have competition there? and if I am successful at keeping the japanese beetles and other pests away, it should stay healthy longer too hopefully.
They have spread a bit into other parts of the yard- I found this one among the gladiola foliage, and another in the back behind the camellia (which I pulled up- it was leggy from lack of light).
The dozen or so I transplanted to be near, but not in, the vegetable garden, are half the size of those that self-seeded, but at least they are still alive. I hope if they flower and drop seed, I'll have grand ones in that spot next year, too.

No comments: