24 February 2019

coleus and sweet potato cuttings

Coleus on the back of the window tank is very pale- and they had all slid so lower half of stems turning dark in the water, roots look unhealthy. I propped them all up higher on the tank rim, removed two that looked worst.
Didn't realize how anemic they were until I had a cutting of removed stem next to plant that's been in a window on the other side of the house all winter. These are both scions of the same parent.
Here's a recent cutting in the other window- also looking good. I guess that tank isn't the best place for them all winter.
I've taken lots of cuttings of my potted coleus 'gay delight'- enough that all my cutting jars are now full
'Stumpies' left of the coleus 'gay delight'- on smaller leaves the purple decorative color is just a thin line
I also started taking cuttings of sweet potato vine to start replacing coleus on the window tank. The deeper notched one is much healthier right now that the more solid form. Guess what, I found a little spider on the plant that has been busy keeping it clean of pests! I was careful not to disturb him.
So these went straight into cutting jars, the other sweet potato cuttings got a good soak in soapy water first. They look peaky and unwell so I suspect a pest I can't see.

No comments: