31 January 2019

new plant and 2nd sowing

seed packets came in the mail!
They actually arrived a few days ago, I have been catching up on posts here. Yesterday after setting up the coldframe house I was spurred to do more, sowed the following in trays: red russian kale, webb's wonder lettuce, leaf beet chard, slobolt lettuce, crisp mint lettuce, simpson elite lettuce and red marigolds (save from my plants last year).  I put the packet of leaf beet chard back in the jar with seeds I have yet to start, because probably those should be direct sown.

Also, I bought this beautiful cyclamen at local nursery when I went to get more soil-less seed starter mix. I don't know which I love more, the pretty patterned leaves, bright flowers or lovely scent- I still think they smell like nutmeg, my favorite spice, although nobody seems to agree with my impression so far.
I learned from the nursery man one reason my cyclamen might have died, before. They like it cool. As in 50-60° cool. So in summer I may have to house it in a basement room, or the heat will weaken its health at best.

No comments: