13 November 2018

tenner bits

My last malaya shrimp is gone. I noticed this week it was sitting very still for long periods of time, barely moving, then creeping to another spot and sitting still again. It was over two years old. I knew for sure it was gone when I saw the largest amano consuming.
This one must have had some, too- very red in its innards, which I observed the last time a malaya got eaten.
Small white oak leaf out of the yard. This one I didn't boil, just dropped it in and let it float. Pretty soon the amanos started crusing around the tank looking for the new thing, it was funny to watch them crawl around upside-down on the leaf. With one of the larger amanos hanging on, the leaf would slowly sink in the water, if the shrimp dropped off it floated up again. For a few days. Now it's sunk.
I'm adding a new leaf or two weekly, to make sure the amanos have enough to eat. They sure go crazy when I feed Ruby (and he still hasn't retaliated). Some of the windelov fronds are now picked apart down to the leaf veins- I think this was the shrimps eating unhealthy leaf tissue.
I do put a bit of extra food in when I feed the betta, so the shrimps have something, but not every day because I don't want to overdo it. It's biofilm off leaves, algae (none visible anymore) and smidge of extra fish food for them. I'd be sad if the windelov gets all eaten away, but it is doing well in my 45 now, so at least I'll still have some around...

No comments: