27 October 2018

I bought a camellia!

With birthday gift my mother sent. I have been nostalgic for this plant- one grows by my mother's front door. I've thought over the past few years how nicely a camellia would go in the corner my compost pile occupies. Plus it would have all the richness that has worked into the soil on that spot. Well, here it is!
For once, I was able to do a proper planting job for a shrub. The years of composting on this spot have softened the soil- even though it was still clay down there, I dug a hole twice the pot size easily (compared to the struggle in the rhododendron's spot). Soaked the hole before I set the plant in, and loosened the bottom of its root mass with my fingers.
I raked up all the leavings from the turned compost pile- which naturally formed a raised ring- and that's supposed to help retain moisture around the roots for the first while.
Finally, leaf mulch and another watering.
I tell you, I am really going to be pampering this plant. It might need protection from winter winds, to prevent bud damage- the man in the nursery told me I can buy a spray that puts a wax covering on it, I wonder if I can just blanket it during the worst weather?
A step back- here's the space it will fill. It's supposed to get up to 8' in spread- so I planted it four feet out from the fence on one side, and property line on the other (behind compost bin). I'll have to move my stepping-stone path and shift some echinacea if it really gets that size, no biggie.
It's a 'pink perfection' japanese camellia. I love the prospects of having a nice, dark attractive shrub that will (hopefully) reach the height of these fences and fill in the corner. And give me beautiful flowers that look very like roses, without all the fuss of a rose bush. I want to get it well established. It should become a permanent plant in the yard. In japan there are some camellias that are five hundred years old, I've read. Wow. No wonder the price tag.

No comments: