04 April 2018

spring repotting

Quite a few of my plants needed it.
First up were two jars of coleus cuttings still rooting in water, (to go out in the front yard when it's a little warmer). They'll have just enough time to convert their roots to soil now before another transplant shock.
This one answered my question about leaf shape- the older leaf on bottom is still round, top newer leaves the usual wedge shape. So I guess it was conditions.
Several weeks ago I picked up a philodendron on sale at the grocery store. Philodendron is one of those dependable, standard houseplants I feel like I ought to have because it's so well-known.
It was nearly root-bound and crowded. Gave it a bigger pot and fresh soil. Growth habit is a lot like pothos, but the leaves hang down similar to the medinilla.
Where a new leaf shoot emerges the sheath peels back and looks pinkish as it dries out. I don't know if there's a term for this growth habit. From a distance the plant looks like it has demure, narrow pink flowers emerging, but its just the stems growing out as far as I can tell.
My newer pink african violet got a slightly larger pot as well. I was considering dividing it- appears to have two or three crowns- but decided to let it grow bigger first.
My large jade was getting top-heavy in its pot. It also got a larger size container, and a serious trim to balance it out.
Also some cardboard wedges to spread the stems a bit.
Here's all the material I took off it. Could easily grow a forest of jade with this. If I had more room in the sun!
Happy to find a few kalanchoe babies survived where leaves fell unnoticed in my other jade pot.
Whatever killed the parent plants hasn't harmed these little ones yet.
I found five in all, and moved them up.
I still have to repot the parlor palms, but ran out of soil and need to locate a few bigger containers too.

No comments: