02 February 2018

spring prep

I keep reminding myself it's too early to start seed (the young plants would outgrow my windowsill/coldhouse space before it's warm enough to set them out). My coldframe house doesn't need rewrapping or a new paint job this year- it seems to have held up very well. So when I feel antsy I browse through the seed catalogs, always find more things I want to try than I have room for! Repot a few of my houseplants. And then organize and clean my gardening stuff.

Here's a stack of re-purposed plastic trays. Deeper food containers with a lid are the best for starting seed. I cleaned them up and tossed a few that had cracked, were made of weak plastic, were too shallow to be really useful or had lost their lids.
I really like the lids from those triple-layered egg containers as a drip tray for rows of small pots, and I use the small square slotted containers that held fresh berries last summer, for extra support under folded newspaper pots of larger seedlings (usually tomato, coleus or borage).
Waiting for spring!

No comments: