28 September 2017

plant changes-

in my aquariums. Main tank is still in transition- three of my aponogeton crispus gone, and the last two are sold, due to go out the door in a week and half. I was pretty despondent about that for a while- but I can already tell the other plants are responding to the absence- growing greener, thicker now they have more light. I didn't realize how much the aponos were actually crowding them. It looks pretty thinned out- two of those plants I removed were pretty massive for this tank size...

Today I moved in the largest of the bolbitis ferns I got from another member weeks ago- having finally taken down the QT. Also bought two gel packs of hygrophila corymbosa at the store- they were kind of pathetic- this was the total sum of stems from both packs.
I want more of these bright leafy stems in the center of my tank, and I figure the best way to find out if what I have actually is hygro was to get more of it and see if it transitions to look the same. The first pack I bought was labeled 'temple plant', this one was 'hygro compact' underneath said hygro corymbosa I think it's the same thing will find out soon enough and know for sure.

I am not sure if I will keep flame moss- it looks terrible. Thin and pale, wispy, black algae marks on the stones. Might just scrap that idea. Still have a bit of fissidens on the driftwood, but it is overwhelmed by the bolbitis (which is looking great!).

Elodea thicket is dying off, and springing up new shoots a much brighter green. Crypts are all putting out new leaves. I'm thinking in a week or two of buying some plants online- definitely want some more apono capuronii to fill in the space (they stay smaller, especially if I trim to train height right off the bat this time).
In my window tank elodea, crypt retrospiralis and hornwort all melting fast. But they all have new growth showing too, so I am waiting out their melt. Vallisneria doesn't flinch. Still nice green straps of leaves, and one is sending out a side runner already. Hornwort especially is a mess of disintegrating foliage, since it came out of the bucket back into the tank- but if it doesn't recover I will just replenish from the main tank.

No comments: