21 August 2017

I got my paradise fish!

Macropodus opercularis- related to gouramis and bettas, but looks rather like a small cichlid.

Went to the lfs yesterday- I have had my eye on their tank of blue paradise fish for months- and I was right to be anxious to get one in time. They only had three left. Two were cowering in a corner- one had ripped tail fin, the other a small body wound. I saw the third paradise fish- who looked to be in good condition- darting at the other two when they tried to move around the tank. I bought the aggressor.

He seemed to be ignoring the other fishes in the store tank- tetras- so I hope will not bother my cories. However for now is in temporary quarters. His QT tank is still draped to keep it dark (reduce stress), so I don't have any pics yet but will soon. But this fish doesn't seem to need my careful treatment. Immediately on release into my QT he was exploring around, even approaching the front when I stood nearby. He shies away when I reach over the surface, but comes right back out. Very bold!

I don't usually feed new fish on their first day with me- giving them at least twenty-four hours to settle in. They don't want to eat when frightened and being hungrier on the second day are more likely to take unfamiliar food, I think. But this guy was already nipping at things in the tank and since I had just been in the garden I offered him two small caterpillars. He gobbled them. I gave him a leaf hopper and about ten mosquito larvae. He ate them all.

It was really cool to watch him hunt down the wigglers. My serpaes dash frantically after those and eat them all in seconds. The cherry barb fry looks for her share, but seems to find them more by chance than anything else. This paradise fish hunts with intention. I can see his eyes searching. He glides very smooth, pauses, looks around, glides again. Moves across the tank bottom or through the bolbitis fronds searching methodically. (I am kind of putting the bolbitis meant for my 38 through quarantine, too. It came in with a few pond snails- I hoped the paradise fish might get rid of the baby ones that hatch which I can't even see yet and I think he's doing that. Definitely see him nip at things on the plants).

Not to spoil him right off the bat with live foods, I gave him some bites of pea this morning (the other fishes all got it after their day of fasting). He went after those just as avidly. Stopped feeding him when I saw his tummy all rounded, but he is still keen to eat (of course). When I smacked a mosquito that landed on my arm, dropped it in his tank. He snapped that up too.

I am thinking of names already: Floki, Melvin, Tazzie, Xing, Sirus, Ryker ...

No comments: