14 November 2016

coleus cuttings

I think my 'kiwi fern' coleus suffered from heat, more than insects this summer. Once it quit being so terribly hot, the plant seemed to revive for a bit. I guess it's not a sun-tolerant variety.
It got rather thin looking, but I still liked its colors.
I have my standard coleus and the kiwi one growing as cuttings in jars now. When I went to cut down the main plants because cold night had killed them, noticed at the base of some pink coleus there were still a few green leaves.
So I tried potting a couple up- in case I could save those through winter. I think I recall doing this before without much success, though.
I also tried to take cuttings of the lime-green orange-centered one, that had such nice, big leaves. Twice. But each time the leaves develop black areas and then just drop off, and the cuttings don't grow roots. Shame.

No comments: