10 August 2015

Oliver

His one-year anniversary today. I'm glad to note that I can't remember ever having any serious concerns about his health- aside from the cloudy eye issue after we moved. He's always looked well and had a good appetite. Inspecting anything new in his little environment. Continues to appear accepting of the otocinclus- sometimes he will make a purposeful move towards and displace one of them, but he doesn't chase or threaten. But I've still been unable to feed the otos zucchini because although Oliver doesn't eat it himself, he keeps hanging around it and keeps the otos off. He used to ignore gnats or fruit flies I catch and drop into the tank, but now he responds to the opening of the lid by coming to look for food at the front of the tank and eats the flies readily.

His response has shown me what a difference light can make. If the room was dark when the tank light still on, it makes the inside of the aquarium glass like a mirror- Oliver would constantly display up and down the front and sides, at his own reflection. It's nice to see his full colors but I wonder if too stressful for him to be so agitated. Now I have the time shifted, so the tank light goes off while I'm still usually reading in bed. The room light is enough to keep the tank glass from becoming a mirror, and the dimness of it outside the tank when his light goes off makes a gradual enough transition.

No comments: