31 July 2015

a few more plants

added to my aquarium on maintenance day. Overall it is not much impact, but I hope they will grow and fill in and outperform the algae.
I got two bunches, one of windelov java fern and the other of hygro compacta (temple plant). When I teased them out, the windelov had six rhizomes pieces in it, the hygro six individual stems. Windelov java fern is funky looking, the top end of the leaves divide into a bunch of fingers.
I like the color of the hygro compacta, but not how lanky it is. All the pics I see of this in other tanks it is much lower-growing in habit and full. I think it has to adjust to be submerged, and once I see new growth I will trim it and replant the cuttings to multiply.
I hope it keeps the nice color- even this blurry pic from above you can see how different the hue is.
Other notes on plants: I ruthlessly cut out a ton of ugly dying crypt wendtii leaves last week, and pleased to see that most of the remaining stuff and new leaves are staying nice- I had a lot less algae to rub off this week, and only clipped out one poor leaf. Of course they're all a lot smaller now, but growing steadily. One has even sent out a new shoot, a baby plant emerging from the roots, off to the side. It's too small to even photograph yet.
Newer leaves are puplish- see just below the hygro here, not sure why hope that's a good thing!

Vallisneria still getting taller- this back corner is starting to fill in somewhat.
I took the small aponogeton crispus out of Oliver's tank and put it in here. The smaller aponos are gradually catching up.
The small java fern bits I had fastened onto top of the root decor piece with little rubber bands (off fish bags) have begun to cling on their own, too. They're not any bigger though.

No comments: