10 June 2015

substrate

Now for some real setup on the new aquarium. Placed root tabs across the bottom (I wanted these to go onto a dry surface so they didn't start dissolving right away and get straight into water column.) Rinsed out the STS bucket (more tedious than picking worms) and put the new substrate into the tank. Filled it up, started running the filter again, cleaned and installed the heater- it bumped the temperature up from seventy to eighty! need to readjust and make sure it is turning off with thermostat properly. Pretty much intend to leave it alone for a few weeks now, until final moving day. Might toss in some of the watersprite or loose java ferns to see how the plants do. And start it cycling. Although I don't think that will be a problem as I will move into it the filter media & housing from the 20 gal, most of its gravel bed, all the plants, driftwood and the small sponge filter too. That should carry enough bacteria over to give a good start.

I've ordered a new glass top and am researching what kind of light to get. Don't want a T8 anymore. I was looking at the T5 high-output but there's too many reviews about those overheating, raising temps in the tank, melting parts and catching on fire! Yikes. So now I'm considering LED, they're the latest thing but unfamiliar to me...

No comments: