06 April 2014

new digs

Flash has new stuff. Replacing his stiff-leaved plastic plant is a silk one (had to order that online) and instead of his old faux-brick bridge, a simple utilitarian pvc pipe. I've read that this is a good, cheap, harmless option for fish that need a cave or hidey-hole to feel secure. I got several from the hardware store, a few to put in my QT tank as well. The pipe segment is a T-shape, with three ways to go in/out.
I hope these new items will be gentle to Flash so he can finally heal and quit injuring himself.
You can see in the close shots he still has three missing scales; the one near the tail is beginning to heal up. The crease in his caudal peduncle seems to me the worst injury even though you can't see it well. Although swimming around much more spry today, perhaps the warmer weather, or (hopefully) he's starting to feel himself again.

He still has the bit of wood with moss tied on it in there, but it stinks rather. I'm thinking of throwing out the wood, getting some plastic mesh to wrap over top edge of pipe as a new moss support... But that's for another time.

No comments: