18 November 2013

SIP stuff

Most of my plants in recycled soda-bottle SIP planters seem very happy now. The root system of my lovely Poinsettia is spreading through the reservoir! This one is getting a bit top-heavy so I think come spring I will replant it into a wide-base SIP made from deep drip saucers or empty cookie buckets set together (like the Pothos).
Every now and then I clean out the lower part of the planters. This is pretty easy- it just means setting the plant in its planter over a drinking glass or some other container for support
and wiping out the green algae that grows in the reservoir, with a paper towel.
But this week I discovered that my oldest mini-Geranium has moss growing in its planter and coming out of the ventilation holes! I'm not sure if this is actually bad for the plant, although it probably means I'm keeping it too moist.

1 comment:

CLEANER said...

I've been researching plants and root growth in clear plastic containers. It would seem many people are wrong about this method upseting the plant. It seems ensure that the outside roots don't grow out and focuses the plants energy on maintaining healthy inner roots. Your plants in clear SIP seem to prove this.