22 October 2013

more schefflera!

A friend let me take some cuttings off her mini-Schefflera that had grown four feet high with all kinds of bending stems, naked below. I brought the pieces home and removed the lower leaves
also cut off the very tops, to encourage new growth
and dutifully did it the right way this time; let them soak a bit and rolled the cut ends in rooting hormone powder before inserting into damp potting soil.
There are two larger pieces in a single six-inch clay pot
and two smaller pieces each in a tall three-inch plastic pot
and I remembered to seal them all under plastic, to hold in humidity while they do the work of growing new roots.
My older plant I've continued to let grow upwards without any trimming that would branch it out. It keeps going up but the leaves always droop, which makes me think I've got something wrong with its cultivation. Too much water, or not enough...?

No comments: