30 September 2011

pretty herbs

It's been raining a lot lately, but also quite sunny. My little beginning of an herb garden is bursting with new growth; the Parsley though I cut some to dry weeks ago, is quite tall and the other plants all have new leaves. I think they like their grass-clipping mulch; it certainly is helping keep the weeds away (and the foliage clean, so I don't have to worry about mud splashed on it, can just pick and use immediately for cooking). I've never seen my Thyme grow so well, nor have leaves so big. It's just beautiful, so full and lush now.
One of my next major fall garden tasks is to move most of these potted herbs by the door
into the ground. I know the mints and lemon balm (also in the mint family) are notorious spreaders, but I plan to simply sink them in pots. I don't mind if that restricts their growth; we don't eat enough mint to need huge plants! I might let the lemon balm have a bit more room, though...

You can see how much they've filled out again from being cut down! The pots on the ground, from left to right: tucked against the door the Peppermint/Spearmint, in blue pot the Chocolate Mint, bright green in black pot the Lemon Balm, in clay pot the other Pepper/Spear Mint (I must figure out which one is which!) and in smaller blue-green pot the Sage.

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

I really wish I had MORE mint…but I won't plant it in the ground, lol. I don't want a whole lawn full. And lemon balm…mmmm…I love just running my fingers over it and smelling it. Amazing. Everything looks great!

Jeane said...

o yes. i like having them by the door just to rub and smell the leaves. but i want that space for flowers, next year. and the bed im putting them in is raised 4 or 5 inches up from the lawn, walled in concrete. i hope that up there plus confined to buried pots they wont escape and spread too soon!