22 August 2010

wow

I've been on vacation at my mother's for about two weeks, then they came over here for a bit. Upon returning home we found the garden full of stuff to eat! All this bounty on the table I picked and gathered just this morning. There's loads of Cherry Tomatoes, tons of Green Beans and about ten more ripe Cantaloupes still out there!
I cooked a garden feast for my family (with my sisters and parents visiting too). We had Swiss Chard frittata, Cherry Tomatoes, Carrots and Cucumbers dipped in humus, steamed Green Beans, sauteed Zucchini, fresh-cut Cantaloupe (delicious!) and caprese salad. It was fantastic!

Sadly, many of the plants suffered while I was gone, unavailable to do bug control. I had to pull every last Cucumber vine. So the dozen fat cukes we got today are the last ones. The Corn is all dried and dead, most of the Cantaloupe vines look sicked with bacterial wilt, too. I haven't even begun to look through the Pumpkin vines, but lots of those look sick, too.
Tomorrow I'll start cleaning up, pulling weeds and dead/sickened vines, to see how far the damage has gone. My mom said what's the solution to the cucumber beetle and I said "bats!"

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

Wow is right Jeane!! That is OMG incredible!! I think I'm most envious of all of those green beans :D I can't wait to plant my fall crop of those next month!! Those cantaloupes look fantastic too!! Sorry to see that some of the plants took a beating though :(

Debi said...

That is the most incredible haul I've ever seen!!! Yeah, wow!