18 June 2010

tomatoes

I've been feeding crushed eggshells to my Tomato plants. After using any eggs, I rinse out the shells, the set them on top of my toaster over to finish drying. It only takes one or two uses of the t. oven to make the shells very dry, including any membrane that got left inside the shell, so that will crumble up too instead of being clingy. Then I break them up with my fingers and crush them into fine powder and crumbs in a little bowl with something that has a flat bottom, like a small drinking glass. I guess I should get a mortar and pestle, that might work easier!
 Anyhow, I've heard tomatoes like calcium, so that's why I sprinkle this around the base of the plants. Some of them are getting quite big now! though still all green.
I am still finding a few lower leaves with blight spots on them, but not as much as before. I pick them off and throw in the trash.

No comments: