12 April 2010

trees

The shrub I moved, which I thought was a lilac bush? Turns out it is a crape myrtle tree. I guess I can be excused for mistaking its identity, as it's also known as "the lilac of the south." And mine's showing signs of life. I didn't see them until sharp-eyed Isa showed me: little tiny buds lining the branches.

And now I have another one. Months ago gave a small donation to the Arbor Foundation and what do you know, they sent me a dozen infant trees (twigs with buds on them, and a tangle of muddy roots). I don't have space in my yard for twelve more trees! So I picked out a few to keep: two flowering crabapples, a white dogwood, and a red crape myrtle. I'm trying to find someone to take the rest. For now, the little tree-twigs are planted in the end of the raised bed. They need loose, weed-free soil for the first year or two before getting moved into permanent location, the accompanying literature says. So I'm sacrificing a bit of garden space to grow a few young trees. Pictures later, when they have leaf and look like something.

No comments: