28 June 2010

frittata

Since we have such an abundance of Chard I've been finding new recipes to try with it. Last night I cooked a swiss chard frittata- a kind of italian omelet that's cooked slowly at a low temperature (in this case, in the oven) without folding.
This one is made with eggs, sausage, onions, feta cheese, a bit of cream and of course, swiss chard. Lots! I cut the recipe in half (which ended up making plenty for us) and still had to cut three entire plants for enough chard.

It was a hit! Everyone found it delicious. One of the steps is to cook the chard in hot water for two minutes, and it smelled just like spinach. I wonder if I could use chard in any recipe that calls for spinach? And when we ate the frittata, my husband said Hey, I could put the chard in omelets! He hadn't realized it could have that kind of flavor before. My daughter said "Mommy, you should grow two rows of chard next year, so we can eat this all the time!"

1 comment:

chrisa511 said...

So I hate eggs with a passion and I'm drooling over that meal :p That just looks delicious! Looks like you found an extremely good use for the chard that everyone approves of :)