02 November 2023

first freeze

was last night. I spent the last two days raking leaves and picking up more pin oak acorns out of the grass. Put some leaf litter/grass clippings mulch around and over some of my plants just as it was getting dark yesterday- the new rosemary, sweetspire, hyssop (which also got cut back to two inches), wild geraniums, lemon balm and tarragon, etc. 

A few days earlier I had spread the compost on all the garden beds- it was just barely enough. I didn't have any left over to feed the ferns, hostas or other yard perennials. Now I'll have to spend this afternoon cutting down the plants killed by frost, that just look icky- the coleus and celosia, the black tatters of leaves on monarda and joe pye stems. Other things that just look dried up, I'll leave be until spring. 

Pictures from compost spreading day, just because it looked so rich. Momentarily- as soon as this was done, I put leaf/grass mulch over the copmost layer. I could tell the soil had been neglected past two seasons- removing some weeds before spreading the compost, found the soil was hard, dry and somewhat compacted. Maybe that's why I haven't seen squirrels digging in the garden so much this year. I thought it was because the hawks and owls passing through our yard more often had taken some of them- but maybe also because the soil just wasn't as soft and inviting, when I hadn't been mulching and feeding it. Well, now it got that treatment again.
another angle- still just as empty.
There are some things still here, though- rue looks great, as if re-flourishing since its little trim
Borage coming up in bed one also has lovely bluish hue, robust leaves
Nicotiana in a few scattered spots
This tall one next to the dill has been blooming like crazy
other side
The dill is over my head again! I would cut the umbrels for more dried seed, but they're still green yet
Here's a smaller dill alone in bed three. 
A few small leeks in bed ten. I'd like to eat them, but want them to grow bigger first.
I cut some bug-riddled leaves out of the lovage, and that looks better now 
My new rosemary looks rather pale. I trimmed it a bit more (using for tea), the leaves look all faintly speckled as if from aphid bites . . . 
The blue sage still has tons of color, though quite a few flower stems are gone to seed now
I found a few bees on them- I think affected by the cold, because they were moving very slowly
but that allowed me to get quite close
I also brought in a lot of potted plants against the cold, and put the young beautyberries in the mini greenhouse to overwinter (never got around to planting them). More pics soon.

Why do I tend to forget how much I love gardening, until I'm out there again? Tidying things up, seeing the richness of the turned compost, digging my fingers through the soil, leaning against the sun-warmed bricks of the bed edges, just feel so content and happy in what I'm doing. It's good work.

No comments: