21 September 2023

in other areas-

Because even though the plants in back parts of the yard, where we have an easement so I'm reluctant to plant anything large or permanent- mostly shallow-rooted things that spread easy and if they have to get dug up by work crew someday for the storm drain pipes, well at least they're easily replaced. The pictures look pretty much the same year after year, but still I take note and try to put in new things, spread around the ones that are doing well, etc. Such as the 'chocolate' joe pye weed. This is the parent plant. There's well a dozen younger ones scattered around the easement now. I dug and moved a few to better locations. And cut off all the flowers, because much as I admire it, I don't need more 'chocolate' joe pye babies right now.
Still somewhat disappointed that my inkberry, bayberry, persimmon, and three of the redbuds, are dead and gone. This one hellebore in the rear perennial bed still looks yellowed. Either it's always sick, or there's soemthing off in the soil in that one spot. I'm going to dig it out and throw away. Let some of the babies grow in, see if they also turn yellow . . .
While all the regular hostas got eaten up completely by the deer (except the blue one in the corner by the garden, and the two buried in the perennial beds), and the sensitive ferns died back from the heat, I still have my stinkin' hellebore babies! In their second year now, not much bigger.
This one was smaller than the other two, I had planted it under the holly by the lady ferns (which also disappeared in the heat)- maybe it was too shaded so grew slower. I moved it closer to the front of that area, when transplanted the younger beautyberry into that spot.
Found quite a few of this plant along edges of the lawn down near the row of liriope. I thought it was strawberry begonia at first- and surprised if that plant had done well enough to produce and scatter itself, since I hardly notice it behind the joe pye 'chocolate' (plus don't they propagate by runners, not seed?)
So I went and cleared away leaf litter and stiltgrass in the area where the stawberry begonia is. Still there. Much smaller leaves than I recall, but seem to be more individual plants. No, it's not the same plant. I think the one pictured above is that weed I favor, that often has a blue-green look and then grows taller later in the season . . . 

No comments: