21 July 2023

weeks ago

I dug up a small rue seedling, and took two cuttings from a trim, and planted them all in this pot.
Soon after it got attacked by something white, fuzzy- I thought mold but they moved, it's probably mealy bugs or wooly aphids. I sprayed the plant and then rinsed, twice- and cut off all the sickly leaves. It was much reduced then, but now growing back fine!
The parent plant got cut back by half- and it still fills its space. (Bricks are crooked though). I was more careful this time- used long-handled pruners, wore disposable gloves, washed my hands and arms with rubbing alcohol and then lots of soap and water after coming inside. Didn't get a reaction this time (last time I pruned the plant, I had blistery rash on my arm and wrist that lasted several weeks. Honey was more soothing that calmonie, covered with bandaids to keep from scratching and spreading it.)
I've found a few more volunteer seedlings, debating whether to pot them up or leave where they are- I've read that rue plants have a 4 to 5 year lifespan, then you want to replace with younger set. Mine doesn't seem to be faltering yet, but nice to have its seedlings as backup.

No comments: