13 April 2023

dug up

Again, just an hour's work before I get too tired. I trimmed the euonymus near the garden. Was hesitant to do so a week ago because I thought a bird was preparing to nest there- we saw a pair of finches on the deck (I think house finch or purple finch? the male had rosy color on its back and head) the male held a bunch of dried grass or stems in its beak and was quivering wings at the female (brown and black-streaked) and they were twittering very fast. My husband said "those birds are sure excited". I thought we were seeing courtship behavior, and had seen birds going in and out of the shrub. But they're not there now. (Lots of robins about, and a few cardinals. A pair of mourning doves taking up residence nearby again, and I've seen the wren going to and fro the woodpile. But no catbirds yet). 

Well, realized I shouldn't be so pleased about the euonymus seedlings I grew into decent little shrubs (here's a better photo of those two in the back)
I found out they're considered invasive in my state. I should have guessed, anything that came up so easy to propagate. I promptly went out and dug up the smaller one on the other end of the property line. Dug an offshoot from my forsythia (it's the first opportunity I've had for that) and moved into its place. Probably too hot a day to do so, but this plant is tough. Doesn't look like much in this picture (that's a mayapple next to it) but it's already twice the height of the euonymus I took out. I know forsythia is an aggressive grower too, but I feel I know how to control this one (my older plant is still clear two feet to the neighbor's fence, and I intend to keep it that way with pruning every season).
Moved another, much smaller plant. Embarrassed I can't think of its name right now. Growing in the corner of my garden bed 7 is the parent plant-
and I dug and moved this baby one that came up nearby under the deck in the gravel. When it flowers I'll probably have a better idea.
Also dug today some plants that self-seeded out of the rear perennial bed, coming up around the walkway. Black-eyed susans, baby hellebores and in the back there a few yellow salvia from behind the panicle hydrangea
and a couple echinacea. Planning to take them to the plant swap next week!

No comments: