13 April 2022

spring heat

It's crazy hot today- for April. A few weeks from our last frost date, and it's 85°. But a few nights this week still below forty, so can't plant out my coleus and other tender ones yet. I actually brought the sweet pea, chervil and parsley seedlings back into the house in middle of day, to avoid the heat. Lettuce is done for. I never got more than a few bites. Hope my snap peas do okay and tatsoi doesn't bolt early from this hot day. 

On another note, I just picked up some free plants from my library. Went there for books, came home with two canna lily rhizomes and a bare root mulberry seedling! I think I'll plant the mulberry on the sunny sideyard where we took out the maples last year. There are small plantings of salvia, daylily, turtlehead, gladiolas and one small hyssop over there so far- just to have something to look at. I stuck rue plant trimmings in the ground- just for the heck of it, maybe a few will take root. But really the space needs a new tree- however a smaller one that won't tower over the house again. Mulberry is perfect, plus I like the fruit. I did want a redbud or witch hazel, but will take a free mulberry instead!

No comments: