24 February 2022

wind damage

It was warm so I planned to leave the lettuces and other plants in the little greenhouse overnight. But then we got some rain, and strong winds. I put half the lettuces under the deck table for some shelter
and then the wind blew a roof panel off my greenhouse! It was already after dark when this happened. To prevent the wind from ripping more panels off I quickly wrapped the top of the greenhouse in an old plastic shower liner. (So glad I still had that laying around.) Strapped it down with packing tape and snugged as best I could with clothespins. I was worried it wouldn't hold, but in the morning, still there:
I was able to retrieve the loose panel before it blew across the yard, and a few more small pieces that had cracked off. Patched it all back together, using screws instead of nails this time to hold down. Sealed the ridge gap with duct tape. And taped a bunch of edges that I hadn't bothered with before, so the wind can't work its way under a panel again (hopefully). 
All the plants inside are okay too.

No comments: