09 July 2021

angel update 7

Nitrates are still 10 or below. Did another 40% wc. Keep thinking the white on Shirley's lip is diminishing, until I compare my photos side by side and then I am not encouraged. It seems to stubbornly hang on the center of her lower lip. More little white patches on pectoral fins. Rinsing the other sponge filter today, what else can I do to keep it cleaner. Ammonia is zero all this time (I've been testing for that, too) yet the angels still have faintly reddish streaks under their skin.
Foxface (the larger festivum) almost ate from my hand the other day, but today he shies away when I open the lid and won't approach. I'm dismayed to see what looks like a scale on his side lifting, maybe a lump forming under it. I can't get a good picture of it because he moves quickly, but it look just like what my last betta had that turned into a larger lump then became an open sore, then the fish died within a month. I'm appalled this might be the same thing. 

 On the other hand, the angelfishes amuse me. Precious still has a few eggs on the uplift tube, and Miss Beautiful is helping her protect and fan them.
I'm concerned these white patches, especially Shirley's lip, aren't going away. I'm thinking of giving her a salt dip, if that would help. I know it would stress her to be caught and taken out of the tank for it, though. Feeling discouraged today. 
I felt I had to do something drastic when I first saw this, having read accounts that fish with mouth fungus end up their jaw falling off and starve to death. That's why I tried using meds. Going back to just water changes feels like a better move, but it's really dragging on.
I looked back at my records and realized it's been 8 months since I bought fresh food, so today I dumped most of my opened packets/cans and got new foods. Since they've been having pellets and flake past few days, all the waste I see looks normal. I decided not to give them the frozen beefheart again though.

No comments: