22 April 2021

plants all inna house

We had a chilly night- 35°- so I brought indoors not only all the young plants for the garden but also the new perennials still in pots and the ones I got from swap, which have been waiting on the greenhouse floor. Brought into the basement window spot the chives, cuban oregano and mints, tossed a hand towel over the planter boxes of chervil and parsley, tucked the pots of kale into the greenhouse and the baby hellebores, dug-up hyssop and dill seedlings into the coldframe. Covered with pots in the garden the new foliage of lovage, lemon balm and the wild geraniums (cranesbill). Figs and sweet peas were left to face the cold. Everything else did fine. 

Maybe I'm a little over cautions with some of these, but I'd rather not have them die on me. It's going to be cold again tonight -37°- and then the following days above forty again. Some plants I'm just keeping in all day today as it won't get above 50° outside. As soon as I can see far enough ahead in the forecast to our frost date (May 10) that it will stay above 40°, I can start planting out some of the perennials from the swap, and all my coleus-
which have been spending weeks out on the bottom shelf of the greenhouse already. The 'kiwi fern' is so nice!
Pink salvia is indoors for the day, too
the blooms have such curious crescent shapes
One of my favorite plants right now are the cardinal climbers- but I think I should start them two weeks later next time around- 
they are ready to climb now! and clinging to each other- I will have to gently tease apart on planting day

No comments: