12 April 2021

planted on the sideyard

the little pulmonaria.
Between lily of the valley (which is spreading!) and my giant hostas. 
Which are just starting to emerge. The ostrich ferns here are unfurling, but they always seem to falter later in the summer, in spite of the constant wetting (pump from our basement expels at the top of this slope). So I'm still debating where to put the new one.
I have a lot more digging to do, now. Our HOA insists that if we take out the maples on this slope, we have the stumps ground out. There were a bunch of plants around the tree I was going to leave in place- I have more of them elsewhere so thought: it won't matter too much if some get stepped on or crushed by a lowered branch, but probably many will survive. Yellow salvia, hyssop, stinking hellebore, heucherella, ajuga, hostas. But I've watched when the neighbors had a stump ground out. That machine will crush everything. So now I feel compelled to dig and move them all, a few at a time on rainy/cloudy days, to forestall losses.

Here's the newer hellebores I got, btw. Their names are 'ruby wine', 'cherry blossom' and 'amethyst glow'.

No comments: