13 February 2021

report on the cold

It's icy. Rain drizzle and ice on everything. My little greenhouse looks fine but I bet it's got a film of ice over all.
Certainly the deck railing is coated and rimmed with icicles 
Bottom edge of the deck table, and chair. Kinda pretty.
I didn't take a picture of the little row cover, it's so not pretty ha, and the top has a sunken spot. I went out and knocked a film of ice off, and propped the top up with old bamboo sticks on each end. Already have in mind how to build a better one- because it's doing the job remarkably well! I peeked under and the plants look absolutely fine. 

Last night when it dropped to 28° I suddenly remembered I'd put the slug trap in there, and thought crap, if that froze the plastic container might crack and I'll have to cut a new one. So I went out after dark and reached in for it. The yeast/water wasn't frozen at all- I even accidentally sloshed some on my foot- and the plants looked pretty darn cosy under there. And happily, there was even a fat drowned slug in there, so I was glad I'd set bait to catch him.

No comments: