26 February 2021

houseplant work

I did some potting up.
First the parlor palms. More because I wanted to try giving them potassium via wood ash rather than they strictly needed larger size pots yet. As they like to be rootbound. I sifted some wood ash from my fire pit and mixed it into the new potting soil. Looks like I've done better than I'd suspected at watering them more sparingly- the soil was so dry it just fell out of the roots when I exposed them!
Next was the chives. They were very rootbound. I had no idea. When I loosened the root mass, it was twice as long as the pot's height!
I trimmed the roots, 
added new soil and hope to see new growth soon.
My plain spider plant was ready to move up-
roots growing out of the drainage holes
Room to grow now-
Could have potted up its baby but I like seeing it here
My brighter crassula moved up one size too.
That's the older jade plant on its left, arrowhead syngonium on its right, and purple undersides of tradescantia zebrina in the background.
Thanksgiving cactus isn't looking happy. Some leaves turning pale. Light? Watering? I don't think this one needs a larger pot size yet but I put a layer of fresh soil on top, and moved it out of direct light
Well, that was fun! Some are still waiting- my second creeping charlie, several of the african violets, asparagus fern and the sansevieria need to move up too. Maybe even the large corn plant. Another day!

No comments: